Where to Stay While in Cebu
Cebu boasts of all types of accommodation from budget inns to five-star hotels. Nonetheless, not all are strategic enough to give every traveller an almost instant access to anywhere he or she wants to go. Located in Brgy. Kamputhaw and near Harold’s, the studio-type condo unit is strategically located from almost all points of interest in Cebu City. Most areas of interest in the city can be reached by foot. Others can be reached by riding the famous “jeepney” or taking a local taxi at a minimum cost.
Itineraries: small in size but big in opportunity. So much to see and do, so little time. The key is really managing your expectations. It’s better not to over-plan; thus, it is best to keep your itinerary open. Make a few decisions and enjoy – you can always come back! J
- Craving to taste the famous Cebu Lechon (roasted pig)? There are 2 restaurants that are 5 minutes away (jeepney) from the unit. The first is Zubuchon, which Anthony Bourdain quoted as “the best pig ever.” It is located in One Mango Mall. And another one is Cebu’s Lechon Belly, now gaining popularity among local diners and other domestic travellers. Try the spicy one and you’ll never regret it. The restaurant is renting a space within Maxwell Hotel and it operates 24/7. To reach these areas, take the jeep with a body number: 14D, 17B, 04H, 04B and 12L. Further, lechon is best appreciated when paired with the famous hanging rice, locally known as “puso”.
- Larsian BBQ is another must try. This prominent barbeque place is only 5 to 15 minutes away from the unit. It is located at Fuente Osmeña beside Chong Hua Hospital. It has everything there is to offer and everything is relatively cheap. It’s a place people go not for luxury, but for the food and authentic Cebuano experience. You may take the following “jeepneys” with body numbers: 14D, 17B, 04H or 04B.
- Coffee shops and other cafés are accessible by walking. Coffee Dream is located along Gorordo Ave. right across Golden Peak Hotel. Vienna Kaffee House is right at the back of KIA Motors showroom, still along Gorordo Ave. Handuraw (Pizza Place) and Kukuk’s Nest are considered artist haven in Cebu. You might also want to try hanging out at Harold’s Hotel Sky Lounge at night.
- La Vie Parissiene , the famous French-inspired restaurant and wine shop, is only 5 minutes away by jeepney from the unit. Direction is going uptown to Lahug area past the University of the Philippines.
- Laundry stations are available along Escario St., walking distance from the unit.
- A 24-hour convenience store is available just beside Casilda’s Bakeshop (cor. N. Escario and Gorordo Ave.). Only 3 minutes away by foot from the unit.
Malls: Ayala Center Cebu is 5 to 10 minutes away from the unit by foot. SM City Cebu (15 to 20 minutes) can be reached by taking a jeepney or cab.
Points of historical interests like Magellan’s Cross (seat of the 1st Christianization of the Filipinos), Sto. Niño Church, Carbon Market, Downtown Colon (oldest street in the Philippines), and Fuente Osmeña Circle can be reached by taking the jeepney with body numbers: 14D, 17B, 04H, 04B, 12L or 01K.
Taoist Temple and Zipline in Balamban are accessible by private car or the famous habal-habal (motorcycle taxi).
Lapu-Lapu Monument, where the famous Battle of Mactan occurred and ended the life of Ferdinand Magellan (1st Portuguese Explorer), is about 30 to 45 minutes away from Cebu City (depending on the traffic). It’s nearing the tip of Mactan Island.
Your trip to Cebu will not be complete without hitting the beach. Yes, you heard it right – beach! There are lots of resorts in Mactan Island where you can enjoy “beaching” around. There are multiple options for a great beach experience in Cebu but you may need to travel for a couple of hours to reach the sought after destinations – Bantayan Island, Malapascua Island, Sumilon Island, Moalboal etc.
Image credit: VacationAdvice101.com